- NASA releases free PDF of 1970s design manual in response to reissue campaign Sep 11, 2015
- Site Design: Looks like Slack is A/B testing a new marketing site Jun 25, 2015
- Bloomberg killing it again: Paul Krugman Goes for a Knockout Against Scrappy Austerians Jun 24, 2015
- Site Design: Instagram.com testing a very minimal variation Jun 09, 2015
- Bootstrap Slack Chat Room Apr 30, 2015
- Site Design: Nilas Jan 27, 2015
- washboard.co - coins for the laundry machine, $10 of coins for $14.99/month Jun 20, 2014
- The Guardian's new responsive redesign blog Jun 09, 2014
- Weird Stock Photos Jun 05, 2014
- Facebook Look Back Feb 04, 2014
- Official port of Bootstrap to Sass has been released Jan 14, 2014
- Site Design: The Gudardian's responsive site Dec 10, 2013
- frontend: The web visual editor Nov 18, 2013
- Good Designers, Good Clients Nov 10, 2013
- Interactive Resume Oct 24, 2013
- Font Awesome 4.0 released Oct 23, 2013
- iOS7 Blurred Header using CSS Sep 24, 2013
- Updates to Facebook for iOS Sep 18, 2013
- BLRRR - iOS 7 Wallpapers Sep 18, 2013
- Specctr: Instantly annotate and measure your design documents right from Illustrator or Fireworks. Sep 10, 2013
- Is Google revamping its logo? Hints appear in new Chrome beta for Android Sep 09, 2013
- Why cards are the future of the web Sep 09, 2013
- Yahoo showed us 30 days of logos. Here’s the one consumers liked best. Sep 04, 2013
- Bootstrap Magic - theme generator Sep 03, 2013
- Stylizer - Real-time CSS app for Windows & Mac Aug 28, 2013
- Intention.js a light-weight way to dynamically restructure HTML in a responsive manner Aug 28, 2013
- Responsive Images with Apropos Aug 25, 2013
- Bootstrap 3 Grid Introduction Aug 20, 2013
- Every Movie Poster that Saul Bass Ever Made Aug 20, 2013
- Design Flashback Aug 13, 2013
- Cloud Cannon - Dropbox based CMS Aug 02, 2013
- Themestrap: Lightweight Theme Kit for Bootstrap 3 Aug 02, 2013
- Designer Excuses Jul 30, 2013
- New Logo for Dropbox Jul 29, 2013
- Prepros: Less, Sass, stylus, Image Optimization, JS Minification & Browser Refresh Jul 28, 2013
- Bootstrap 3 RC1 Jul 27, 2013
- Digitalised collection of handheld electronic games Jul 22, 2013
- CSS Zen Garden relaunches with a new design Jul 18, 2013
- The Big List of Flat Icons & Icon Fonts Jun 19, 2013
- How BBC News Handles Responsive Images May 10, 2013
- The CSS Zen Garden is 10 years old today May 07, 2013
- Here Is Today Apr 28, 2013
- GOV.UK wins Design of the Year 2013 Apr 16, 2013
- Preview the latest version of Bootstrap 3's docs Apr 12, 2013
- Geo for Bootstrap. A theme for Twitter Bootstrap, from Divshot Apr 01, 2013
- Stocksy Stock Photos - an artist owned co-op with a curated royalty-free collection Mar 27, 2013
- A rapid prototyping and static site generation tool for designers and developers Mar 26, 2013
- Niice. A search engine with taste. Mar 22, 2013
- Responsive Greeting Card Mar 21, 2013
- Preboot, a flexible collection of LESS utilities Mar 11, 2013
- Bootstrap 3 Preview: Flat UI design and mobile first approach Mar 10, 2013
- Facebook's new newsfeed design Mar 07, 2013
- Feature Support & Polyfills Mar 04, 2013
- 360 JS - Draggable 360's Mar 03, 2013
- Prototyping Responsive Typography Mar 03, 2013
- Foundation 4 is Here: The Smartest Foundation Yet Feb 28, 2013
- Paper.js — The Swiss Army Knife of Vector Graphics Scripting Feb 17, 2013
- Framer: a modern prototyping tool Feb 17, 2013
- PixelTone, an app that uses voice-control and touch to control photo editing operations Feb 13, 2013
- Mark Boulton Design redesigns their website Feb 10, 2013
- Scratch Pad - Write HTML and CSS, watch it render instantly Jan 12, 2013
- Moonbase - Browser based animation editor Jan 12, 2013
- All you need to know about CSS Transitions Jan 06, 2013
- Generated Product Screenshots in Realistic Environments Jan 03, 2013
- ARE DESIGNERS CRAZY? Jan 03, 2013
- Responsive Navigation Patterns Jan 02, 2013
Mr Bingo performed another rap about the wonders of stock imagery at the It's Nice That monthly Nicer Tuesdays event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9y2wXHZHo
Great stuff, I enjoyed that :)
Does anybody know if this was outsourced to an agency?
ha thats a nice touch! :) found all of the phrases in the JS: module.exports=[ "Nacho Pizza Marinade", "Nacho Portion Monitor", "Naked Panda Muffin", "Namely, Pickled Meatballs", "Nancy's Preferred Machete", "Napping Panda Mi...
They could have at least set a < title > tag
Looks like I'm late to the party, but would love an invite if there's any left email@example.com
Cool! You guys did a really great job on that! Any idea why they didn't go for an agency in Thailand/Bangkok?
Any ideas of the agency behind this?
Designed by Foundry Collective, they have some other nice works in their portfolio: http://www.foundryco.com/work/
Really nice little tribute. I didn't realise he was the voice behind the latest TV ads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiyIcz7wUH0
Good idea :) http://instagram.com/adamwintle
And here's where you can download the Canary browser: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/canary.html
I don't fully understand this project, is he raising funds to make a commercial set of 150 icons? Currently he's raised just over US$38k, which would make it about US$250 per icon, not bad! If he reaches US$100k then he'll boost it up to 200 icons, and US$150k to boost up to 250 ico...
Doesn't Mac OS X have a built-in static web server already, just put HTML/CSS files into ~/Sites/ folder and they work on http://localhost What's the difference with this product if it doesn't also help with mySQl, PHP, Apache, etc?
I hope they don't require exact change only
Interesting that you say Apple are using Bootstrap. I had a look through some of their source code on their store pages but couldn't find it, do you know which pages are using it? I found this but it appears to be a generic JS file which happens to be called "bootstrap" http://stor...
Another weird one: http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/42-22755355/man-impersonating-a-crossdressing-adolf-hitler-peeling?popup=1
Not sure if something like this is in there but having some contact info and website URL on profiles would be useful.
There's another one here which also has lots of nice little touches: http://www.apple.com/your-verse/new-depths/
He just tweeted that this is what he's been designing since he joined Facebook, so it was definitely the work of Mike: https://twitter.com/mike_matas/status/429026192977436672
Plus they have generously licenced the source code under the Apache licence: https://github.com/guardian/frontend
This is nice, but do other people think its maybe a bit too chatty? I’m really excited that we’re at the stage where we’re signing contracts I am more than happy to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) in order to work on your project. I often like to write and tweet about the projects I am ...
I've been living in Bangkok for about two and a half years and been working remotely for various clients for about three years. A lot of my clients had no problem continuing to work with me if I lived in another country as long as we doubled down on communication. Usually in the UK it would...
I still have 30 left!
Allan, why haven't I received my issue of Cat Fancy yet?
ok, just found the accompanying article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/8/4816514/jony-ive-leica-camera-pictures-for-charity
If Apple ever designed a camera this would be it. Does anybody know any background info on this?
Well at least its responsive!
That's SourceTree, a Git client.
Impressive, $25,000 in just one hour
Bangkok, Thailand, been based here about two-and-a-half years.
Looks like they have put together a massive team for this, so they must be pretty serious about entering the web design software space: https://plus.google.com/+googlewebdesigner/posts/F9B3VgBtXtd
Hmm of course I checked it, it was looking fine when I submitted it! Sorry guys!
For those who don't want to wait: http://gif-explode.com/?explode=http://i.imgur.com/WntrM6p.gif
I've used http://www.34sp.com for years, only a few minior problems overall very good!
Very nice! The Saver section on this page makes me think maybe the old floppy disk icon could be replaced with a Dropbox icon to represent save in the future: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/dropins
and here's Marissa Mayr's personal blog post about the new logo: http://marissamayr.tumblr.com/post/60336044815/geeking-out-on-the-logo Summary: We didn’t want to have any straight lines in the logo. Straight lines don’t exist in the human form and are extremely rare in nature, so the h...
Isn't KitKat a registered trademark of Nestlé? I wonder if this is also a marketing stunt; I doubt Google would have chosen to use the KitKat brand independently...
wow such an improvement, I wonder if this vast change has only been possible since the founder sold the app.
Got a few, some are very generic some could be turned more into a brand: http://namebox.io/adam
In my opinion I'd drop the MOTD section completely, like the OP mentioned, it usually only holds mild significance to design related news. For TOTD, isn't this usually what's at the top of the page anyway? I'd just post any productivity tips, lessons, etc to the main feed. My vo...
I don't really agree with this kind of strategy to handle a situation like this. Regardless of how much money is at stake and if the client has acted unprofessionally it doesn't mean the design can be unprofessional too. Obviously we don't know the full story here but it leads me to ...
This looks fantastic. There's been a lot of new front-end developer tools recently, has anyone seen a list or roundup anywhere?
This is some crazy next level stuff!
London looks just as spectacular and bustling back then as it does now; amazing to see the landmarks such as Trafalgar, Houses of Parliament, Tower Bridge and the Tower of London over 85 years ago! :)
wow that's awesome
Their last question asks if you'd like to see everything added to Photoshop! It would become the most bloated app in existence!
Apple quits skeuomorphism with a bang!
Very nice update! Pity they didn't add any Chinese social network icons this time (Weibo, Renren, Tencent, QQ) Has anybody seen any of these icons as a web font?
The CSS Zen Garden is probably one of the number one projects that got me really into web design; great to see Dave bring the project back to life after 10 years!
So basically now everything which was once Macromedia has been chewed up and spat back out again?
Looks like it was a new agency called Spacecraft: http://www.jadu.net/blog/TheJaduBlog/post/64/Spacecraft---A-New-Frontier
Its pretty good for a government website, but the more I dig around the more I find a lack of attention to detail. For example, switch the theme to creme and many elements break: http://www.adamwintledesign.com/screenshots/Manchester_City_Council_Homepage-20130503-011017.jpg
I thought this was going to be a game called Dots I played a lot in my childhood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_and_Boxes
This was actually quite useful! I've had a number of failed attempts at switching from Coda 2 to Sublime Text 2 over the past few months, this seems like quite a clear setup guide; anybody else got anything to add?
Here's another gem by the same author: http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/07/less_confident_people_are_more_su.html
In my opinion it all depends on who your target audience is, people accustomed to using a computer are just going to hit return, maybe more inexperienced computer users will look for a search button. I'd say its safer to include the button.
For me, when I see a Dribbble shot here it often isn't Designer "News", its just design. My suggestion would be instead of banning all Dribbble links, we should encourage posting more news related links. If a Dribbble shot is also design news then its ok.
A few I had bookmarked: http://hotdogscoldbeer.com/austin/eats/ http://islandcreekoysterbar.com/ http://www.state-chicago.com/about.html
wow, that escalated quickly http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/366/396/f8a.gif
This is brilliant, what the world has been waiting for!
I went from Foundation to Bootstrap, now this is out I think I'll give Foundation another go on my next project. Looks pretty solid.
Very interesting thread. I remember in 1996 when I was about 11 years old my dad started experimenting with HTML (back when it was all tables and inline styles), sometimes I sat next to him and learnt the code. His site is still online today: http://www.wopc.co.uk So I guess from there I just e...
Photoshop > Bootstrap > Coda/Live Reload > MODX CMS I usually try and use one new technique or tool on each project to see if it like it. Recently been tryout out SCSS. Slicy looks super interesting, definitely going to try that.
I read the entire article thinking the writer was recommending Skitch for web design! http://evernote.com/skitch/
Is there currently a way to see what other users have posted?
What does: "A new badge! Prefix your post with "Site design:" if you're posting a link for" mean exactly? Also, how do you add the other icons next to the posts?
One of my favourite web studios has redesigned their site. A hell of a lot better than the previous version.
- iOS9 GUI by Facebook Oct 08, 2015
- The Story Behind Medium’s New Logo Oct 08, 2015
- Bootstrap 4 alpha Aug 19, 2015
- Mad Men Integrated Jul 06, 2015
- Hate Mail. Best Kickstarter promo – ever. Jul 06, 2015
- Say Hello to Designer News 2.0 Jul 02, 2015
- SVG Guide, Khoi Vinh On Photoshop, Spotify Changes Colour, Google Design Accessibility | News On Design Jun 23, 2015
- Show DN: Google Ideas Jun 08, 2015
- The International Flag of Planet Earth May 19, 2015
- Windows Universal App Design Guidelines Apr 29, 2015
- Get my icons for free in exchange of feedback (4000 icons) Mar 14, 2015
- Site Design: WIRED Mar 02, 2015
- Site Design: Bloomberg Businessweek Design (Conference) 2015 Feb 09, 2015
- A collection of useful .htaccess snippets Feb 09, 2015
- Site Design: Bloomberg Business Jan 28, 2015
- Warning: You’re about to read some pretty dreadful copy Jan 24, 2015
- StackExchange System Architecture Jan 03, 2015
- The British Rail Corporate Identity Manual Jan 03, 2015
- Google Analytics in OSX Notification Center: GAget for Yosemite Jan 03, 2015
- "Kameleon", 1500 icons that changes colors. 52% OFF price Nov 30, 2014
- What is Alibaba? Sep 23, 2014
- Holy All Caps Script Batman! : Tim Cook Cover for Businessweek Sep 17, 2014
- Site Design: Glass Optical Sep 10, 2014
- New Southwest Airlines site Sep 08, 2014
- Apple - Remembering Robin Williams Aug 13, 2014
- You Spoke, We Listened: Introducing the LayerVault Starter Plan Aug 12, 2014
- Responsive Images: Use Cases and Documented Code Snippets to Get You Started Jul 23, 2014
- The New Yorker redesign Jul 21, 2014
- Meet JIBO, The World’s First Family Robot Jul 16, 2014
- Let's share Instagram accounts Jul 10, 2014
- Pay What You Want for Clear Solid - 500 Icons Jul 10, 2014
- New Russian Tramway Design Jul 10, 2014
- Responsive Equal Height Blocks Jul 10, 2014
- Site design: new StarWars.com Jul 02, 2014
- "New" Design Observer Jul 01, 2014
- Every Designer's Worst Nightmare Jul 01, 2014
- Tavern (formerly Forrst) Jun 29, 2014
- Google Design Jun 25, 2014
- Peek - iOS Tool Jun 22, 2014
- Font Awesome Black Tie Jun 17, 2014
- Welcome to Safari Flow Jun 03, 2014
- Flipboard introduces a responsive layout engine called ‘Duplo’ Mar 25, 2014
- Sneak Peek at Sketch 3.0 Mar 21, 2014
- Show DN - New Webalys design Mar 21, 2014
- BARREL | Taking Control of Image Loading Feb 21, 2014
- Site Design: Sony.co.uk Jan 29, 2014
- Understanding the GitHub Workflow Jan 29, 2014
- Ask DN : What is your daily rate ? Jan 27, 2014
- Site Design: The Dissolve Jan 26, 2014
- New York Times Redesign Jan 06, 2014
- The missing iPad app for Instagram Dec 19, 2013
- Robinhood.io Dec 16, 2013
- Site Design: Square Dec 10, 2013
- Learning Xcode 5 As a Designer Nov 29, 2013
- Ask DN: How do you educate clients? Nov 26, 2013
- Site Design: CodeBox: Cloud IDE as a Service Nov 23, 2013
- Supercharge your Workflow in Sketch Nov 18, 2013
- A Clientwork Boilerplate Contract from CSS Wizardry Nov 10, 2013
- Ask DN: Who designs remotely? Nov 10, 2013
- Bootstrap 3.0.1 released! Nov 02, 2013
- DN: We're opening registration on November 6 Oct 31, 2013
- Better Email Braulio Oct 23, 2013
- Where are the best places to find freelance design work? Oct 17, 2013
- New Delicious Oct 16, 2013
- The Leica M designed by Jony Ive and Marc Newson Oct 08, 2013
- Site design: Virgin.com redesign Oct 07, 2013
- An analysis of design trend data scraped from Dribbble Oct 02, 2013
- After iOS 7 icons Sep 25, 2013
- jQuery One Page Scroll (Apple homepage style) Sep 24, 2013
- The fattest design bundle from Creative Market Sep 19, 2013
- Google Makes Its New Flat Logo And "App Launcher" Style Nav Menu Official Sep 19, 2013
- Here are some logos! Sep 18, 2013
- Non-destructive iOS 7 Blur Templates Sep 16, 2013
- Made for iOS 7 Sep 14, 2013
- Ask DN: Let's talk about specs/functional requirement docs. Sep 09, 2013
- Yummicon - 100+ delicious icons for every taste Sep 09, 2013
- Photoshop to Reflow for responsive page comps Sep 09, 2013
- SketchMine: .sketch files Sep 05, 2013
- Yahoo introduces their new logo Sep 05, 2013
- Online CSS3 Tools Sep 03, 2013
- WTF Visualizations - Visualizations that make no sense Sep 03, 2013
- Web Design Statistics 2013 [Infographic] Sep 02, 2013
- Collection of CSS3 and HTML5 experiments by Tim Holman Aug 28, 2013
- ASK DN: those of you using Bootstrap, why do you do it? Aug 27, 2013
- iOS 7-Inspired Line Icons Aug 27, 2013
- Hype 2 – HTML5 animation mac app Aug 24, 2013
- Tridiv: In-browser 3D CSS Editor Aug 21, 2013
- Site Design: Internet.org Aug 21, 2013
- London in 1927 Aug 15, 2013
- Touch device jelly menu concept - CodePen Aug 13, 2013
- Subtle Patterns Photoshop plugin just released! Aug 08, 2013
- Webflow is live Jul 30, 2013
- Developer excuses Jul 29, 2013
- Generate and download SVG images to use in CSS backgrounds Jul 29, 2013
- Ember – Your digital scrapbook Jul 23, 2013
- The Holy Grail of Front-End Development Bookmarks Jun 22, 2013
- Macaw - The Code Savvy Web design tool Jun 19, 2013
- Site design: London's new responsive TFL website Jun 19, 2013
- Starters Guide to iOS Design May 21, 2013
- All the DN avatars I could find, in one JPEG May 14, 2013
- New Font Awesome Released May 10, 2013
- Gallery CSS - Pure CSS Slider May 04, 2013
- Animated Backgrounds of Fighting Games May 02, 2013
- The Kama Sutra Project — A-Z Apr 18, 2013
- New Web Design Tools That You Need To Check Out Apr 16, 2013
- Site Design: Into the Arctic Apr 14, 2013
- Site design: New, redesigned Kippt Mar 13, 2013
- Responsible Web Design Mar 11, 2013
- Matt Groening's Artwork for Apple Mar 05, 2013
- Fill Murray Mar 03, 2013
- People, not users Mar 01, 2013
- Style Tiles Feb 20, 2013
- First Edition of NYC Transit Authority Graphics Standards Manual Feb 14, 2013
- ASK DN: What Photoshop trick do you think more people should know about? Feb 12, 2013
- Awesome HTML5/CSS3/JS effects Jan 11, 2013