- Podcast: Is design fundamentally a science, an art, or just advertising? Jul 28, 2015
- Is System Design Something You Can do on Purpose? Jul 21, 2015
- The Business World Doesn't Care About Your Portfolio Jul 13, 2015
- Typographic grids make no sense on the web. Here is why. Jul 06, 2015
- On the Grid Joins the 5by5 Oct 22, 2014
Woo hoo! <3
I would argue "craft" is not an alternative to a scientific, artistic, or capitalistic (i.e. advertising) approach, but rather a taste and attention to detail that can be employed with any of those value sets. I don't think it's relevant to this particular conversation.
It's a question of high-level, fundamental values. Science values progress, increasing our understanding of the world around us and our ability to manipulate it. Art values cultural relevance and beauty, showing humanity a different side of itself. Advertising, by definition, values selling m...
Doesn't have to be one thing, but surely it can't be everything either.
hand waving emoji