- Podcast: Three Designers Discuss Ad-Blocking Sep 29, 2015
- Podcast on Explaining Design Decisions and Being Defensive Sep 22, 2015
- Podcast: On Failure, Side Projects, and the Real Significance of Brands Sep 08, 2015
- Podcast: Design and Fashion Sensibility: Do the same Rules Dictate Both? Aug 24, 2015
- Podcast: Taste and Objectivity in Design — Does taste matter? Aug 18, 2015
- Podcast: Are the skills of a designer at odds with being a great leader? Aug 10, 2015
- Podcast: The Ramifications of Clickbait Headlines, Cognitive Biases and Design, and the Problem with Simplicity Aug 06, 2015
- Podcast: Is design fundamentally a science, an art, or just advertising? Jul 28, 2015
- Is System Design Something You Can do on Purpose? Jul 21, 2015
- The Business World Doesn't Care About Your Portfolio Jul 13, 2015
- Typographic grids make no sense on the web. Here is why. Jul 06, 2015
- On the Grid Joins the 5by5 Oct 22, 2014
- Show DN: Help Beta Test a New Time Tracking App Sep 23, 2014
- Postwiki — Simple wikis for any Community Aug 15, 2014
- On the Grid Episode 52: Team Teamwork Feb 26, 2014
- Designer's Under the Bell Jar Jan 18, 2013
- *NSFW* New Sagmeister & Walsh Branding and Website Jan 16, 2013
- Reader Aware Design: Evening Edition Jan 15, 2013
- Facebook Unveils Graph Search Jan 15, 2013
- "Glass Bottom" iPad app from Delta Jan 15, 2013
- We are Losing the War Against Email Jan 15, 2013
- Graphic Design Criticism as a Spectator Sport Jan 14, 2013
- Disruptions: Design Rivals Technology in Importance Jan 14, 2013
Unite is good, but if unite is ur fav u r basic. Goin with intersect.
Thanks for the clarification, Al. We have this constant debate going about which is more useful: speaking from our personal perspective or trying to talk about higher level concepts divorced from our own experience. There are pitfalls of both approaches. As you've pointed out, there is an imp...
Did you have a chance to listen to the episode, Eric? We did our best to talk about why not many "creatives" are in management positions, and discussed some of the challenges those of us that are face.
We like to start the show with some lighter banter, which we feel makes the conversation more natural, but we know isn't for everyone. I'm hoping you can help me understand how we were "patting each other on the back for being super designers". I hope our conversations never com...
Woo hoo! <3
I would argue "craft" is not an alternative to a scientific, artistic, or capitalistic (i.e. advertising) approach, but rather a taste and attention to detail that can be employed with any of those value sets. I don't think it's relevant to this particular conversation.
It's a question of high-level, fundamental values. Science values progress, increasing our understanding of the world around us and our ability to manipulate it. Art values cultural relevance and beauty, showing humanity a different side of itself. Advertising, by definition, values selling m...
Doesn't have to be one thing, but surely it can't be everything either.
hand waving emoji
We never quite know how to summarize our hour long discussions into podcast titles. When we share the episodes, we try to describe them in different ways to gauge interest and response in specific aspects of the conversation. Regardless, the entire show is about why and why not to maintain a por...
Hi Josh! Basically the entire hour long show is about this subject. You can skip the first 4 minutes and 40 seconds if you REALLY want to trim it down the the conversation about portfolios alone. The reason we choose to make a podcast as opposed to writing blog posts or comments online is becaus...
If you'd like to skip directly to the conversation about grids, go to 30 minutes in, or use this link: https://soundcloud.com/onthegriddesign/ep122#t=30:19
Designer News! We're getting ready to open the floodgates on our new time tracking application, but I would love to have some of the keen eyes from DN testing in these last few weeks to help us put the final polish on the app. Help us out?
Hip, hip hooray!
Oh, we're everywhere, Paul... Thanks for the kind words!
- On the Grid Podcast: Interface is the New Logo Feb 03, 2016
- Cushion: Peace of mind for freelancers Jul 15, 2015
- OnTheGrid podcast talks to Eli Schiff, author of "The Fall of the Designer" May 11, 2015
- Design as Commodity: An Experiment with 99 Designs Aug 19, 2014
- On the Grid: The Device is the Message (Podcast) Apr 23, 2014
- Brewseful: A simple coffee timer for iPhone Apr 22, 2014
- On the Grid: Self-worth as a Designer (Podcast) Feb 17, 2014
- On the Grid: Facebook Paper & Candy Crush (Podcast) Feb 04, 2014
- On The Grid — Episode 46: 2013 in Design Jan 14, 2014
- On the Grid: What Screens Want (Podcast) Dec 15, 2013
- Tall Chess Jul 23, 2013
- Tall Chess May 30, 2013
- Flinto is iOS prototyping made simple, and insanely fast. Just launched today! Apr 25, 2013
- On the Grid: Naming your brand, naming UI Apr 25, 2013
- Lost Type: Cylburn Apr 16, 2013