Nice. The design looks great and I think going for an atomic system was the right choice since otherwise we’ve seen the quality of the design deteriorate over time after the design team is done with it.
I’d be curious to know how you documented the IA if you can share that and roughly how much time you spent at each stage. Also, did you do any testing and if so at what stages?
Hey Cristian, thanks for your feedback! The IA was documented in very detailed, complex excel sheets (as one has to keep things extra tidy when dealing with mass data). It took us about 2 months to get the informational structure right, the UX design & usability specification was about 4,5 months and the UI took roughly 4 months to finish. Then we spent a few more weeks with fixing the content in test environment.
About the testing: at the very beginning of the project the design team had some hypothesis regarding typical user behaviors, so we did some quick in-house research for the sake of the IA (cardsorting, treejack analysis, etc.) but the real deal happened when people started to click the unpublished site in test environment – we got some very useful insight so we adjusted several workflows accordingly before actually launching it. For me personally one of the greatest lessons learned from this project was that a thorough, clickable, high fidelity UX prototype isn’t always enough to validate things. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Great work Laszlo!
Let me know what you think about the design. The weird looking language is Hungarian :D