@sketchapp Please a make dynamic colors library for you next release. I would like to change font colors range all over the document with one click (or two - Doesn't matter ;) ).
Text styles, symbols, search and replace color... plenty of ways to achieve that already.
Never knew about search and replace colour - thanks :)
Yes, and they're all terrible.
What's so terrible about setting up a few text styles in your document and change the color when you need to? I think symbols should allow you to set a color overwrite for chosen elements (instead of that stupid mask hack), but for just text I don't see a big issue here.
You have to manage the same color for different types of objects. Why not one color setting to rule them all, independent of their type. I mean how many different shapes/strokes/fontsstyles are you using in you designs? It gets messy because of that. Left, Center, Right and then color for texts. So if you want to change the color because the client say so you have to do it 3 times instead of 1. That why ;-) and if you have to manage maybe 30 Textstyles or more within your project it gets annoying.
After the kickoff and setting up the system you can set a range of colors depending on your project and move from there, Change one type of color everything with that color changes regardless of their type. So that i have not go to a sheet and change 10 styles or more.
And yes the mask hack is stupid, trouble in handoff for android...
Yes, I knew all this ways and, I do text styles and symbols, a lot ;) . Actually it's not just about Text Color it's about using one color library for all objects in the document, texts ands shapes the same time. Sorry I should have made that clear.
Yeah, I was thinking about the same thing. Sketch already have the function to set Document colors. These colors could work as symbols. Once these colors are changed it'll be applied to all text/elements in which the color was used.
Fixing this should be a top priority for Sketch. Almost every workflow that involves Sketch to something else is broken by this hack when it isn't broken (even more than just being broken by nested symbols in general) including pulling assets from Zeplin, Sketch to Framer, Sketch to Supernova etc. ' 'On one hand Sketch's power is in the complexity and control allowed by nested symbols, and on the other hand actually utilizing this ability is almost more trouble than it's worth.
Global colours would be lovely, could also introduce tints
anything dynamic in sketch means 'from scratch development' for the team. they're only capable to build prebuilt OSX engines.
Oh, if keynote brings dynamic colours, yeah they can do that.
Yeah, a more global implementation of colours would be fantastic. Because there are workarounds, it's not in my top 3 issues with Sketch but I definitely understand the pain.
My top things for Sketch right now are:
Toggle-able properties for text styles. If I had to pick a new feature, I'd probably go for this.
- I would love it if I didn't need to have a separate text style for a heading just because the colour or alignment is different. It would be great if I could create a base style with certain properties selected by a checkbox or something.
- For example, for a Header style I might select font family and font size but NOTcolor or alignment. There are times you may want to activate all checkboxes (which would be the equivalent of all checkboxes being selected), but a lot of the time, this isn't the case. Even if the first iteration didn't allow for combining multiple styles (i.e. Base style, and colour style like CSS) it would be super helpful.
Unitless line height please. We've got the ability to multiply the text size by a value already but it would be great if you could choose to define a specific line height (current) or have it multiply by a value regardless of its font size. Huge annoyance for me. It just feels like something that shouldn't need a plugin to handle…
Stability in current ecosystem. Mainly with Sketch Mirror.
- I generally don't experience the performance issues that has become the running joke whenever a new major update comes out but a lot of people do apparently. My points on stability are mainly around Sketch Mirror.
- Before the latest update, whenever a project got to anything beyond one artboard with a few layers and groups, Sketch Mirror would just crash or just stop syncing (and wouldn't be able to reconnect. Often requiring restarting Sketch and Sketch Mirror…).
- With the latest update (49), Sketch Mirror can't even zoom in anymore. So if your design is really tall (like for a website), you can't zoom in or see the design 1:1. It's ridiculous. I can't even comment on the stability or speed because I can't use it in its current state.
- My workaround is to use Skala Preview (Mac), Sketch Preview (3rd Party Sketch plugin) and Skala View (iOS) to mirror my designs. This has been my Plan B for years and it's always been more stable that Sketch's native solution. I've been very patient for the stability of Sketch Mirror to bump up in priority, but the latest update really frustrated me… Clearly.
Wow… What a rant. Didn't expect that to go so long.
… +1 for Dynamic colors still!
Not only that but also a typography ones
- Character Library
- Paragraph library
I used to hate when people said this, but now I know why: switch to Figma bro
Then we're all just changing tools every six months or so based on what features we like that day. Not particularly sustainable in a professional context.
I've been curious about the best practice to achieve as well. I feel like Symbols in a Symbol Library placed into each of your projects would be the best solution.
If you used a Symbol Library, you could just select all the Symbols (in your case text), and change the colors there. It's not 1-2 clicks, but it's not bad.
Yes its the best way for now. I use symbols too. Even if symbols are awesome, dynamic color library would be awesome too ! Imagine, Colors set in one place on sketch interface and change one of theses dynamic colors and that's changes that color on all the document ... :)