Thinking of buying a trackpad, are there still people using the older version or is it worth spending 3 times the amount on the new one?!
I've had both, and heavily prefer the new one, even though it's ridiculously expensive
I'd say there's a few major upsides:
- easy to pair (just plug it in)
- works over USB too
- no moving parts (the old one clicks through it's rubber feet, mine broke)
- force touch
- larger touch area
- I guess you could just rechargeable batteries (although not optimal)
- If it pairs like mac keyboard can't see there being a problem?
- How often do you use the forcetouch? I can't remember last time on iPhone 6s.
- Is it noticeable having the larger touch area when designing in sketch?
I'm always a fan of buying older technology that does the job!
- Once you run out of batteries and need to wait for them to recharge (or need to go to store to get new ones) it will be a pain.... paaaaaaaaiiiiin.
- Maybe you are just lucky, but I have connection issues at least twice a month
- Not using forcetouch.
- It is a huge difference.
BUT if your works correctly there is no reason to upgrade.
- Rechargeable batteries would work I guess, but it's more of a hassle.
- Pairing is a total mess if you have more than one mac in a room (and want to switch between them), usb makes it 10x better actually.
- Use force touch all the time, remapped it to bring up shortcuts for window management, so that's how I throw windows around.
- I'd say it's noticeable anywhere, but def didn't feel limited by the old one on this.
Old one def does a stellar job still, I'd say it's the second best trackpad you can buy, it's just that the new one is the best :)
IMO the only genuine advantage is not having to change the batteries but seeing as I have a bunch of rechargeable batteries lying around and still have to do it for my keyboard that's really not a big deal…so I would say no, not worth it.
I've used the new keyboard and trackpad for 1 month this summer as my colleague was on vacation. I would say it's NOT worth the upgrade.
It feels better, matches my new MBP and charging is easier, but not worth 5678129123789 bucks.
I'm using the old one and I hate changing the battery. I don't see any other reason to change it.