99% Invisible should be top any podcast list: http://99percentinvisible.org/
I was about to say that!
Layout.fm is good. Be careful though, there are a lot of design podcasts that really are just waffle and don't communicate anything worthwhile.
I upvoted because it's true, however afterwards I realized how amusing it is that the top comment in both this thread and the recent Newsletters thread is basically...Meh. Everything sucks...haha
Seems to be an amusing quirk that we will always give the negative top position. If I were to ask "Hey, guys what are some good blogs?" I'd be willing to wager a large chunk of money the top comment would again be something like...Meh. It's all a bunch of content marketing crap.
Haha it is. It seems a lot of people decide to create a podcast but they don't really think about whether they should. Whether it'd actually add any value to the industry.
Podcasts like 99% Invisible, Design Matters and ShopTalk (dev I know) are the ones I recommend for our industry.
I tried to listen layout.fm and that guys was talking about apps on homescreen for 20 min and stuff. Such value!
Thank you :)
+1 for Emanuel's personal favorite. It's mine too!
Aaaaaayyyyyy!! – You my personal favorite now buddy!
Yaaay!! — That's so nice to see :) Shaboiii
Both of you guys are great human beings, I relate to you the most
For those that speak Spanish, we have this design podcast EN ESPAÑOL: https://www.disenochachacha.com/
High resolution: https://www.highresolution.design/
Great stuff on the business of design. https://www.thefutur.com/category/podcasts/
Big fan of Maurice Cherry's podcast https://revisionpath.com/
I have to promote my podcast. Give us a listen. We have some great guests, and discussions. Find us at ThunderNerds.
We will be participating at DevFestFlorida which is Florida's largest Google conference taking place in Orlando, Florida. If you will be attending make sure to say hi, and participate in our live Q&A panel with some of the conference speakers.
I put together a list here: https://www.goodpods.co/collection/the-design-industry
Perhaps good to know that there are lots of classics to be found in the DN archives: https://www.designernews.co/search?q=design+podcast&t=everything
I published a pretty thorough list of design podcasts a couple months ago.
These are my essentials, but I discovered a TON of other greats compiling the list:
- 99% Invisible: Hosted by Roman Mars and produced for public radio, 99% Invisible (or 99pi to listeners) looks at the decisions that go into the everyday things that surround us. While not explicitly focused on digital design, 99pi will open your eyes to the craft and thought that goes into almost everything. Most episodes are around 30 minutes long.
- Design Details: In this weekly show, hosts Bryn Jackson and Brian Lovin talk with the designers behind different products. Most episodes range from an hour to an hour and a half.
- Design Matters: With its claim as the first design-related podcast, Debbie Millman has interviewed tons of well known creators in this weekly podcast. Most episodes are under an hour.
- Presentable: Jeff Veen talks with industry leaders to explore topics from hiring and freelancing to virtual reality and ethics. Most episodes are around 45 minutes long.
- The UIE Podcast: Jared Spool shares stories and take-aways that you can use in your day to day design work. These bite-size episodes are only 10–20 minutes long.
Maybe try some not-design podcasts. This will go much further in molding you into a better designer. I've been listening to:
The idea is that if design is about serving people, we should try to understand people. Most design podcasts (and I kind of have one) are naval gazing. Your time is better spent learning how to understand and care about other people.
I know it's trite, but This American Life is a great production that really helps you to understand life outside of your own experience.
This is one of my favorites!
Definitely check out https://www.creativesouth.com/podcast/
https://drt.fm/ has some great design focused episodes.
This really worth to hear:
Not an Australian, but i really love the Australian Design Radio
Yup! Check this out - we've created a new illustration for every episode: https://www.livechatinc.com/podcast/
Cool design podcasts.