More rookie designers putting design over function.
This is so unimaginative…
Here's some things I saw in iOS 7 (6 mo ago): That's what I saw 6 months ago from official designers phone on the project, sorry for any spoilers, and I cannot guarantee anything cuz obviously it was a beta build…
• There's no more double-click home to view running apps, inside running apps is a special slide over panel BEFORE the search panel… so double tap slides over to a different panel with full screen access to running apps, volume… they also put in some common settings like bluetooth, but that has been moved out now… (no more TAP and hold to kill apps, just swipe!)
• wifi, bluetooth toggles are access by tapping and holding on the "4G Carrier Logo", except the carrier logo isn't shown any more…
• The OS uses a lot more of card navigation… it's mostly HUGE under the hood changes, to the way you navigate and interact… TOP navbar 100% gone, become transparent in some apps, but mainly totally removed in apps I saw…
• lots of fullscreen focus on content…
• lots of gloss was removed, but the UI was in flux, with different components not matching at the time so I can't tell you what the exact style will be…
• Siri was overhauled
• different kinds of keyboards
• revampted in per app settings
• completely changed messenger…
• Allowing of sharing files between users on the phone (like a FaceTime button but i send you a pdf over the phone)
• lock screen that allows you to unlock by dragging to points on a photo [cross-licensed from MS] (or I'm told fingerprint), and if that's the case they may remove photo unlock, so people will buy iPhone 5s
• Notifications are revamped
• The ability to pull behind from an app current conversations
• real access to file system, and sending data to any iPhone with a few feat of you (works on current iPhone, so it wasn't a hardware thing)
• Hugely revamped text editing… circle loop was changed to a cleaner block inline, instant without delay on paste/copy controls which looked less like a popup and more like an above your text block
Not much else i can say. I used it for total of maybe 20minutes, while staying at my buddies house for the weekend. It was on his Apple dev phone, and he was allowed to take it home
pics or it didn't happen.
Yeah.....I'm gunna call BS. But I guess we'll see in a couple months.
Glaring Red Flags:
"• wifi, bluetooth toggles are access by tapping and holding on the "4G Carrier Logo", except the carrier logo isn't shown any more…"
First, you contradicted yourself. Second, this goes against the iOS HIG (go ahead and try tapping the 4G/LTE icon on your status bar)
"TOP navbar 100% gone, become transparent in some apps, but mainly totally removed in apps I saw…"
Wait, then how am I accessing my Wifi / Bluetooth settings?
I'm not going to dig into how unlikely the rest of the things you're suggesting are, but I will say that it seems especially suspicious that your "buddy" was allowed to take home a version of iOS 7 SIX MONTHS AGO. That'd have to be a pretty high profile friend.
Tapping the topbar (on the clock) already scrolls to the top, so I could see this actually being added.
That said, I'm not saying the claims seem valid in any way. We'll never know until mid-June when Apple announces and shows off the new OS.
HOPE THIS IS REAL
Some people really have too much time on their hands. I think it is overdone, way too flat, and Apple will probably not make design changes as drastic as in this video, yet.
Say No To Widgets. Aren't mobile apps already widgets? You don't need smaller summarized versions of applications already operating. Weather widget or app why do we need both?
Had to stop watching at the unlock slider in the hardest-to-reach spot on the entire phone.
I definitely wouldn't call this concept stunning, it seems like a step back and definitely not the future of Apple's UI. The video is cool but imo it only serves to show how flat design is not a one fits all kind of thing.
So… like Windows Phone.
WRONG WRONG WRONG
Almost made me throw up. Almost...
Note (for Ben G.): The amount of things wrong with this video is disturbing to me. I hate when websites pick this up and trolls start salivating over some over designed terrible user flows. That's why it made me sick.
Not fond of how the main screen icons look, but I would definitely like to see something close/similar to their music, weather and calendar app.
Too simple and generic.
I don't know how to articulate my feelings for this without being offensive to the designer. Let me start by saying that the design itself is beautiful. Beyond that though I feel that it shows a lack of understanding in how established UI needs to grow.
iOS is at the point of being second nature to it's users. That's why many get frustrated with Android, etc. This concept blows everything Apple has strived for out of the water and replaces it with essentially a new phone. Apple would lose customers to Windows phone or (God forbid) Android.
This is why Apple will most likely work towards a new UI in a very iterative manner. If you remember, they already removed a lot of gloss in iOS 6 with new nav bars. They also created a minimal interface with one of their key yet "fun" apps, Music. I personally feel this was to begin prepping users for some changes.
I have a lot more insight into this but I think my point can be understood without putting everyone to sleep. Apple will do this gradually. They certainly won't slit their own throat and destroy the UX and UI that they have worked 6 years to embed in user's lives.
Pasquale d'Silva on these animations
Best DN thread eva