What are the pros and cons of using this vs. FramerJS directly?
Framer Studio is just a nicer way of working with FramerJS.
FramerJS is completely open source and free for everyone to use with their favorite browser and editor.
- Simple dedicated interface for modifying and viewing your Framer prototype
- No config needed
- Integrated workflow with Sketch and Photoshop
- Autocomplete and error checking
- Built in snippets
- Costs money (Framer.js is open source and free)
- Confined to Coffeescript
- No editor configs/customizations
Hypothetically, you could set up a very similar workflow with just plain old Framer.js, your favorite editor, a build tool like Gulp or Grunt, and Framer Generator.
They still haven't updated Framer Generator for sandboxed Sketch though.
We will have this over the next few days.