I am a product designer and these are my tools(mrare.ca)

5 years ago from Bryan Maniotakis, Product Design

  • Erik ShawErik Shaw, 5 years ago

    I wish web and app designers would stop hijacking the Product Designer title as it's often confused with real product (industrial) designers. At least say "Digital Product Designer" when referencing a title.

    9 points
    • John PJohn P, 5 years ago (edited 5 years ago )

      Find the whole trend completely ridiculous to be honest. I totally get it, you want your role to sound more influential in the actual money making part of the company. But really co-opting the term for an entirely different field is just making this industry look immature.

      There is a whole bunch of titles you could easily clal yourself that make perfect sense: Application Designer, Interface Designer, Interactive Designer, etc far more suitable terms for your actual job entails.

      But nah, nah you gotta take a different job title because you think it sounds more important. It's developers co-opting the term "Engineer" all over again when they don't actually take the extra years of training to become certified as an actual engineer.

      Not to mention most of you design services not "products"

      3 points
      • Bryan Maniotakis, almost 5 years ago

        That's the thing about this industry, titles and roles are changing so fast that half the time they mean nothing. I'm pretty sure my titles scattered around various sites still have interaction designer, app designer, product designer, interactive designer, and none of them are going to be more succinct than the other because I'm a generalist. Maybe that's why I like product designer, because it encompasses all of these things. Hell, at google and facebook there are even prototype designers, which is yet another one that falls under this category.

        1 point
      • Ethan BondEthan Bond, 5 years ago (edited 5 years ago )

        The word "engineer" doesn't refer to a certification. That is, engineers have been around for a lot longer than the NSPE. I don't get the point of this rant.

        Industrial designers have a term for themselves: industrial designers. I'm a product designer (by your own definition) by education, but I work as a digital product designer. I'm a computer scientist by education, but sometimes kind of work as a software engineer (but not really).

        The fact is, these things are changing rapidly and the lines are blurry. They probably always will be.

        Who cares?

        0 points
    • jj moijj moi, almost 5 years ago

      I'm a 'real' product designer - furniture, toy, and stuff, and also apps. What would you want to call me then? Digital and Physical Product Designer? I don't have a problem with digital product designers using the same title.

      Also, product designer and industrial designer aren't quite the same. The majority i know use the latter one.

      2 points
    • Zach McKimminsZach McKimmins, almost 5 years ago

      I was confused half way through the article when I realized he wasn't a product designer but was a "Digital Product Designer"

      0 points