If there's already a post like this, please link as I couldn't find :)
Before you install any plugin, install Sketch Runner.
It's the plugin that installs/updates plugins and does nearly everything else as well.
Oh.. thanks for the info. I thought its just for quickly finding menu items only.
They recently added the feature to install plugins from their interface. Makes it even more useful than it already is.
Thought the same - just updated. I really like how it supports discovery of the most popular plugins. Bye bye, Sketch toolbox.
Use Every Project
- Autolayout (Seriously, just magical.)
- Craft (Auto-populating data)
- Zeplin (Exporting Design)
- Prism (Auto Generating Color)
- Random Ipsum (Large bodies of text)
- Symbol Organizer (Ordering and cleaning up symbols)
- Overview Artboard (Put artboards within a bigger artboard)
- Golden Ratio Line Height Generator (Gets the correct line height for a body of text)
One of the things I wish Sketch had was the ability to bring plugins into the Toolbar so that I didn't always have to click on Plugins the sort through a list of unused plugins all the time.
Edit Late entry that I bought today was Magic Mirror. It allows you to create perspectives and transforms. I'd been in desperate need for a tool like this.
Good list. Never tried auto layout yet. But looks cool.
Learn it. Get good at it. It will change your life.
Symbol Organizer is amazing. Wish I found that earlier!
Yeah. Once you get deep in a project it's a life saver!
What advantages does AutoLayout has over using Sketch's built in resizing modes? I've been able to accomplish a lot of flexible designs using that and symbols together. Never felt the need for anything more complex.
Short answer. It can automate everything you're doing manually. I'd suggest watching the video in the link above.
AutoLayout has things besides just pinning/sizing. You can make and combine horizontal or vertical stacks that are quite useful.
Auto Layout is great, but it kind of messed everything up when it was time to hand off and deliver via Zeplin. The layouts we're a complete mess and I ended up having to go back and detach symbol -> unstack everything. One by one. What a tedious process.
I did not know this. Deal breaker for sure.
There is a button named "Prepare for export with other plugins" that duplicates your file and detaches all symbols recursively
It's in the top a menu :)
Yeah, I tried this methdod but the end result wasn't as good as I expected, since elements inside stacked groups still were moved around randomly. I don't know if my workflow is some way flawed, but like I said the only remaining option was to go through every single symbol and stacked group one by one. Even manually selecting several and then detaching would screw up the end result.
No one has mentioned http://nudg.it/
Allows you to set the shit+arrow increments to whatever value you want. Set to 8px for Material design. No more 2px nudging.
- Sketch Runner
- Find and Replace
- Symbol Organizer
Is there a FontAwesome plugin that works correctly or smthng?
Here you go: https://github.com/keremciu/sketch-use-fontawesome
That plugin is not being actively developed anymore. The author suggests using the Icon Font plugin instead, which supports more icon fonts. https://github.com/keremciu/sketch-iconfont
+1 for Find and replace
Huh FontAwesome. Tell me more :)
Font Awesome Plugin: https://github.com/keremciu/sketch-use-fontawesome
- Sketch Runner
- Symbol Organizer
- Craft - Mostly for syncing to Invision and grabbing live content from the web. The library is too buggy to be useful for our team.
- Find & Replace - Downloaded this one cause it seemed useful, then didn't use it for a while. Then yesterday, I needed to replace a phrase throughout some mocks and it totally saved my sanity.
- Nudged - Change the nudge increments. Helpful when you switch between web and mobile often.
- Symbol Organizer - Organizes your symbols and deletes un-used ones.
- User Flows - Automagically adds arrows to show flows from one page to another. You can also auto-generate an artboard to show the overall flow in one view.
- Zeroheight - Just downloaded this one and it seems promising to use for our team library.
Nice. Thanks for the description.
Any difference between Library in Craft and Zeroheight?
Zeroheight creates a style guide landing page for you with all of the components, colors and styles you add to it. You can put notes with each item, which is super helpful.
Other than that, I'm just praying it's less buggy than Craft. We've had tons of issues with syncing, loading assets and pulling assets out of Craft to the point that nobody trusts it and uses it anymore. We're hoping Zeroheight is a bit more stable and the added features are nice bonuses.
Thanks Jamie! zeroheight co-founder here :) If you have any feedback or things you'd like to see in the styleguide, do let me know at jerome[at]zeroheight.com, I'd love to hear from you!
Awesome! Definitely will do!
Thanks for the share, Zeroheight seems super promising!
Thanks Miraj :)
- Craft (mostly for syncing with Invision)
- MDS Shortcuts (a more intuitive Design Layers)
- Sketch Palettes
- Symbol Organizer
What does Fluid do? Is it same as AutoLayout?
Whoops, yes. I don't use it anymore.
- Auto-Layout by Anima(Make elements stay/change the way you want when resizing, especially work well with symbols)
- Artboard Titles('It is the simplest way to name each artboard before export.')
- Artboard Tricks(Rearrange Artboards)
- Find And Replace(Finds text in selected layer(s) and all layers contained within - and replaces it with different text)
- Rename It
- Sketch Measure
- Swap Styles(Swapping styles between two layers in Sketch! Which small but works great)
- Symbol Organizer(Organize your symbols page alphabetically)
- User FLows(A plugin for generating flow diagrams from Artboards in Sketch. Just tricks!)
- Craft!!!!(Woooo, fantastic baby.Works well with inVision App)
I also recommend https://github.com/Volorf/Sparkliner — quickly create graphs from .json files & https://github.com/bomberstudios/Cleanup-Useless-Groups — clean up your layer list by removing empty groups and flattening deeply nested groups.
I like to manage my Sketch plugins folder manually so it's easy for me to add, edit, update, or remove them as needed. I created a symlink for the Sketch Plugins folder in my home directory, and I also keep a "Plugins (Disabled)" folder for plugins I'd like to keep but aren't actively using.
People have already mentioned some of the ones that I use regularly, so I'll focus on a few you might not have seen.
- Butter (Easy alignment and spacing)
- Sketch Color Contrast Analyser (Test color combinations for WCAG AA 2.0 Compliance)
- Sketch Replace Colour (Find & replace colors in your document)
- Sketch Palettes (Load and save Document and Global color palettes into the color picker)
- Paster (Paste text directly from the clipboard to text layers)
- RenameIt (Rename multiple layers simultaneously)
- Webalize (Make layer names url-friendly for asset export)
- Sketch Bounding Boxer (Easily show and hide bounding box layers)
- Sketch Modulizer (Auto padding for buttons or modules. There are many plugins based on this concept, but this one works well for me)
- Sketch Plugin Monster (Manage Sketch plugin shortcuts and conflicts—finally!)
- Fontily (Find & replace fonts)
- Clean Up SFUI Type (Automate letterspacing of SFUI at different sizes to simulate native spacing)
- Sketch Truncate Textlines (Truncates the amount of text in a text box and adds an ellipsis)
I version control my plugins by version locking them within a specific semantic range. This helps me restore my plugins to specific versions in case of breaking API changes when updating Sketch.
With Sketchpacks, it will follow the version locking rules and auto-update your plugins accordingly.
Sketch Runner Sketch Guides Artboard Tricks Sketch Measure Cover Artboard User Flows
And of course, Auto Layout :P
AutoLayout - Get Automate Sketch: http://ashung.github.io/Automate-Sketch/ it contains functions similar to other plugin and does it a bit better.
The link is old, check this https://github.com/Ashung/Automate-Sketch for full features.
StyleDrop (Easily copy styles from one layer to another)
I use the userflows plugin but that's about it. I wish there was an extension like Photoshops Navigator so I can get a birds eye view of the entire document and pan around in there if I need to. Anyone know?
Some that aren't listed:
- Sketch pallettes
- Swap fill border
- Rename layers
- Magic mirror
Marketch to give design specs and/or assets to devs in html format. Its a godsend.
One of the things I wish Sketch had was the ability to bring plugins into the Toolbar so that I didn't always have to click on Plugins the sort through a list of unused plugins all the time. - Josh Rio
Never thought about it, but this would be amazing.
Key shortcuts / Sketchrunner?
(－‸ლ) Of course! That was one plugin I disabled because I could never integrate it into my workflow, this may be my answer. Thanks for the reminder!
I'm surprised Sketch Mate hasn't been mentioned yet, some kick ass keyboard shortcuts and mini flows. Eg.
Cmd+alt+R ... instead of paste in place, it also removes the object you had selected
TinyFace & Segmented Circles. + Zeplin of course.
Not a fan of Craft.
below is my plugins
what does fluid do?
Initially I found FontFinder hugely useful throughout the rebranding process of a Patterns and Standards library I'm currently working on. Although the issue I had with it is that it only works on a Page level. To update fonts throughout an entire document, you might find more value in using Fontily, which I've recently moved to.
Atomic - (export artboards directly to atomic.io)
I try to prune my plugin set as much as possible.
My current sketchpack includes:
- Auto Layout
- Rename It
- SVGO Compressor
- Sort Me
- Find & Replace
- Select Group Layers
- Color Contrast Analyzer
- Unsplash It
- Split Divide
You can import my plugins with Sketchpacks that contains all my plugins my version controlled sketchpack at https://gist.github.com/adamkirkwood/cef0ad8e33480e00d597073ebb2795b6
If you like the idea of having the ability to version control plugins at specific version, I suggest Sketchpacks. Also makes sharing your plugins with friends and team mates easy.
Can Looper be used for anything else than art? :-D
I really love this one. Select parent artboards https://github.com/nefaurk/select-parent-artboards
This is also very useful. Find and replace https://github.com/mscodemonkey/Sketch-Find-And-Replace
- Map generator
- Tiny faces
Thanks, What's SVGO? Can you provide a link?
Thanks for being quicker, this is the plugin yes!