• Aaron Wears Many HatsAaron Wears Many Hats, over 3 years ago

    When I design the interface for that user, am I performing “front end development?”

    I would say yes.

    I feel you're probably trying to be too "academic" in your interpretation of the skill-sets at hand here.

    A front end developer is the engineer/programmer who builds the interaction layer of your application. A back end engineer handles databases, api, etc, which receives input. If the term 'front end' doesn't fit your paradigm because you're building a voice interface (*for example, as per your pictured example), you can hire a human-machine interface engineer (HMI) before making up your own title.

    1 point
  • , over 3 years ago

    Hey there. This is rough but I've been thinking a lot about jobs-to-be-done style roles and alignments, esp. with regard to hiring new designers and developers. Our company is very much organized around this job/solution relationship, and I find that "front end" and "back end" don't really hold up to scrutiny nor align with our service design. Anyway! Curious to hear your thoughts.

    0 points